Custom vs Costume

In this post we're going to be talking about costume jewellery vs custom jewelry.

The piece that I have pictured below is something that I had customized through Simon G in California. It looked a bit different when I originally ordered it; although they did a fantastic job with the feminine design, setting and diamonds, I knew I had to put my own twist on it. I discussed with the company and through Bob Thompson Jewellers, where I've been working for 9+ years, we decided to change it up a bit and make it into a bar necklace.

Diamond Bar Necklaces are so in right now, and although they're a trend piece that may not stick around forever, I knew I was going to get a lot of wear out of this piece and I knew that I wanted it to last. I am able to style this look with a ton of different outfits and I'm able to wear it on any occasion. There's truly nothing better than wearing something perfectly tailored to you and your personal style.

A lot of people may be initially turned off by custom pieces because of they're unsure of the process or they think it costs an arm and a leg but it is possible for a piece to be hassle free, custom made and affordable. I specialize in customizing pieces, through Talin Design - these pieces start $65 but they are silver, won't tarnish and they're something catered to you and it's something that's going to last for years and years. Bob Thompson Jewellers is a locally owned business with two designers on site. We're able to work directly with you and with large jewellery designers (like Simon G, for example) to help create pieces that you will LOVE.

Don't get me wrong, costume jewellery can be absolutely beautiful - for the first few times that you wear it. There's nothing more frustrating than falling in love with something and having it tarnish or fall apart after a handful of wears. Sure, the initial price point is low but if it's something you have to replace or repurchase, are you really saving any money?

- - - - - - - - - -

Outfit Details: Simon G flower pendant - style no. MP1505 South Sea pearl strand necklace - Bob Thompson Jewellers (Ottawa) Talin Design glasses Sam Edelman flats - via Rikochet Resale Stella & Dot clutch - via Christina Yank
David Waugh Photography and Jessie Charron Photography

Comments